Paris Street Style: My Desire To Look French



I have recently switched jobs, with my new career meaning I have to wear all black to work. Instead of getting all moody that for the most part, I will no longer see colour, I did a little mental jig. Hurrah! I now have an excuse to pretend and dress like I'm French!

There has always been something about how the French dress themselves that looks so effortless (and don't even get me started on their attitude towards skin care - there will be a post on this in the future). Since I was young I have always been a fan of Audrey Tatou, and as she fronted most if Chanels campaigns, this fandom has slowly turned to love. 

As the owner of a petite but boyish figure, I am a lover of fitted and structured clothes to aid the illusion that I have some curves (I really don't). But I found that I often looked too smart - my blazer collection got ridiculous. Over the years I have had to learn how to look effortlessly cool whilst still dressing for my figure. Although I pretty much consider Pinterest my personal stylist (check my fashion board for my dream wardrobe and inspiration), I was glad when I stumbled across 'Paris Street Style: A Guide To Effortless Chic'. 

This book is a collection of do's and don'ts for fashion success, and can help you put together a strong capsule wardrobe. There are a lot of simple ideas that should be part of every fashionistas vocab, although some are a bit too much for me - not wearing converse over the age of 26?! I don't think so!

All in all this book is really well put together, including beautiful photography, and spotlight information in French fashion bloggers and designers who bring their own two cents about personal style. I received this as a gift, but prior to this it was on a wish list somewhere as a few outings to the book section of Urban Outfitters had left me a bit lustful. If anything, I know now that less is more, certain items of clothing are timeless and transcend trend, and that comfort doesn't need to be replaced by looking good. I'll be keeping my converse then. 

2 comments:

  1. I've spied this book a number of times in UO and your post has only made me want it more! I get jibed for wearing a lot of black; people don't understand it's not because I'm 'afraid' of colour, but I just love it and paired with breton, so very Parisian chic ;) (well as much as I try!). Love this post! x

    Danielle · danielletc.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading!

    I would recommend this book on inspiration alone - I like mine on my coffee table so I can flick through whenever I don't know what to wear! I have seen a German version too which looks really good!

    Em x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!